Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cameo Crossovers #1: Quasar #14 - Sept. 1990

Well, since I have the worst case of writer's block I've ever had at the moment, I'm skipping the Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man review for now, and will instead post this wonderful piece of useless information.

Cameo Crossovers will be an ongoing thing, featuring the many cameo appearances of Marvel/DC characters popping up in each others books. Heck, from time to time, I may post some that appear in other companies books, like Image, Dark Horse etc etc, as well. So if you see any of these 'Cameo Crossovers' anywhere, be sure and let me know.

And don't worry. As soon as this writer's block goes away, I'll get that review up.

So for the inaugural edition of Cameo Crossovers, we have a little scene from Quasar #14.

The cameo in question is from Part Two of a of a 4-part story line that ran though issues 13-16 of Quasar that was titled "Journey into Mystery". The events leading into this issue have led Quasar, along with the Squadron Supreme's Hyperion, and Makkari of the Eternals, to the lab-world of the Stranger in search of the rest of the Squadron Supreme (it's been a looooong time since I read this issue, but I'm assuming that the Stranger, who collects creatures from around the Multiverse, has 'collected' the members of the Squadron).

Anyway, as you read through the issue, you will eventually come across this page, which shows a bunch of different inhabitants of the Stanger's lab-world:



Take a good look. I mean, look really hard. Do you see him? I didn't at first, but when I did, I laughed out loud. This was one of the only comics from DC that I read during the late 80s/early 90s, so I remember being super happy with this cameo.

Yup, there he is. Up in the upper right-hand corner of the page. DC's Will Payton, otherwise known as STARMAN! Will had his own series that ran for 45 issues, starting in Oct. 1988 and running until April 1992. It was a fun series, not as good as the more popular Jack Knight Starman series that started a couple of years later in '94, but still a pretty damn good comic book.

So I guess the Stranger has visited the DC universe at some point. Who would have guessed?

That's all for this time. Feel free to contact me through here, or on the facebook page if you have any other Cameo Crossovers you'd like to see featured.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! At first I thought you were going for "Buried Alien" from the interstellar race (if memory recalls)! Keep up the great work here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, of all the possible cameos... Will Payton! Haha.

    Love this feature! Suggestion for the future: the various appearances of Lois and Clark in Simonson's Thor. I can't believe it was a recurring thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on those, as well. That's why I'm asking for help. :) I don't know which issues these things happen in. lol I have one so far, and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my site, www.marveldcuniversenow.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete